Dr. Cosmas Milton Obote Ochieng - Executive Director
Dr. Cosmas Milton Obote Ochieng is the new Executive Director of ACTS. Dr. Ochieng has held various positions in a number of university, research, development and conservation organizations around the world. These include IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature); Technical University of Denmark (DTU - UNEP Risoe Centre); Lancaster University (Lancaster Environment Centre); Ecoagriculture Partners, IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute); ActionAid International (UK); IDRC (International Development Research Centre); Kenyatta University and IIRR ( International Institute of Rural Reconstruction).
Dr. Ochieng has conducted research, policy analysis and teaching in the areas of agriculture and food security; sustainable land, water and energy ecosystems management; biodiversity and natural resource governance; national systems of innovation; international trade and development; green economy and climate change; ICTs and development in Africa; and political economy of African agrarian development. Dr. Ochieng holds a Bachelor of Arts (First Class) Honours Degree from Kenyatta University (Kenya), a Masters in Development Studies (Distinction) from Cambridge University (UK) and a DPhil (Doctor of Philosophy) in Development Studies from Oxford University (UK).
Agriculture and Development
- The Political Economy of Contract Farming in Tea in Kenya: The Kenya Tea Development Agency (KTDA), The Comparative Political economy of Development: Africa and South Asia (2010)
- Strengthening Agricultural Education and Training in sub-Saharan Africa from an Innovation Systems Perspective: A Case Study of Mozambique (with David Spielman, Kristin Davis, and Javier Ekboir), Agricultural Systems (2008)
- Development through Positive Deviance and its Implications for Economic Policy Making and Public Administration in Africa: The Case of Kenyan Agricultural Development, 1930–2005, World Development (2007)
- Revitalising African agriculture through innovative business models and organisational arrangements: promising developments in the traditional crops sector, Journal of Modern African Studies (2007)
- Building an agricultural research for development system in Africa. (with Adiel Mbabu) (2006)
Regional Trade Agreements and Economic Development
- Legal and Systematic Issues in the Interim Economic Partnership Agreements (2009)
- The EU–ACP Economic Partnership Agreements and the ‘Development Question’: Constraints and Opportunities Posed by Article XXIV and Special and Differential Treatment Provisions of the WTO, Journal of International Economic Law (2007)
Political Economy and Natural Resource Management
- TOOLKIT AND GUIDANCE FOR PREVENTING AND MANAGING LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES CONFLICT: CONFLICT PREVENTION IN RESOURCE-RICH ECONOMIES (2011)
- Comparative capitalism and sustainable development: Stakeholder capitalism and co-management in the Kenyan fisheries sub sector, Natural Resources Forum (2008)
ICTs and Development in Africa